Sullivan, Maine, located in Downeast Hancock County, was incorporated in 1789. Once known for its fishing fleet and granite industry, it is considered the gateway to Schoodic Peninsula, home to the only portion of Acadia National Park on the mainland. Consequently, in June of 2000, Sullivan was designated as U.S. Route One's western starting point for the Schoodic Scenic Byway. When first settled by colonists, the area was a large plantation called New Bristol. Today, it comprises North Sullivan, West Sullivan, Sullivan Harbor, and East Sullivan. (Sullivan photos)
The area was originally called Waukeag by the native Penobscot and Maliseet tribes. Waukeag referred to a natural glacial formation called a “kame” which can resemble a horseback. A kame is a hill or mound of gravel and sand formed by streams on the bottom of slow moving glaciers. When the glaciers melted, they left these deposits throughout Maine. Waukeag meant “a horseback in a place where the tide runs out strong” and referred to the kame in the great tidal stream that fills Sullivan Harbor, Sullivan Falls north through Taunton Bay, and Hog Bay in Franklin.
Sullivan, Maine is about 13 miles (21 km) south-southwest of Ellsworth and 13 miles (21 km) from the entrance to the Schoodic Peninsula section of Acadia National Park. View the Schoodic map to see how to get there.
Please share this page with family & friends!
Town Government: (207) 422-6719
Fire Department: (207) 422-3220
Frenchman's Bay Library:
Population per Year 2000 Census: 1,185
Bed & Breakfasts | Cabins - Cottages | Campgrounds | Hotels - Motels | Inns | Vacation Rentals
Acadia National Park | Bar Harbor Maine | Photography | The Artist | Contact | Welcome
Lodging | Dining | Entertainment and Other Activities
© 2001 - 2012 Greg A. Hartford, AcadiaMagic.com
All Rights Are Retained by the Copyright and Trademark Owner
All other copyrights and trademarks are reserved by their respective holders.