Tremont, Maine, part of Hancock County, includes Bass Harbor, Bernard, Gotts Island, Seal Cove, and West Tremont. These are small quiet communities with some nice coastal and interior views. The approximate population is 1,529 (per year 2000 census) and it covers 10,329 acres. This southwestern part of Mount Desert Island is often referred to as the “quiet” or “back” side as it is on the opposite side of the busiest section of Mount Desert Island which includes the well known Bar Harbor resort area. (view Tremont photos)
Tremont, Maine was first settled in 1762. It was incorporated on June 3, 1848 as Mansel, a name first given by a company of emigrants led by John Winthrop in 1630 when Maine was actually part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The name was quickly changed to the French word Tremont (meaning “three mountains”) just two months later.
Please share this page with family & friends!
Fire Department (Volunteer): (207) 244-7911 (via Dispatch Center in Southwest Harbor)
Ambulance: Southwest Harbor/Tremont Nursing (207) 244-7685
Bass Harbor Memorial Library: (207) 244-3798
Chamber of Commerce: (207) 244-9264
B and B's | Cabins Cottages | Campgrounds | Hotels Motels | Inns | Vacation Rentals
Acadia National Park | Bar Harbor Maine | Photography | The Artist | Contact | Welcome
Lodging | Dining | Entertainment & Other Activities
© 2001 - 2012 Greg A. Hartford, AcadiaMagic.com
All Rights Are Retained by the Copyright and Trademark Owner
All other copyrights and trademarks are reserved by their respective holders.