West Gouldsboro was the first village of Gouldsboro, Maine in what was then called the County of Lincoln. In 1764, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts gave land in this area to settlers Colonel Nathan Jones, Francis Shaw, and Robert Gould. Gouldsboro was later named after Robert Gould in his honor. The county was renamed to Hancock County on June 25, 1789. (photos)
West Gouldsboro is located at the intersection of coastal U.S. Route One and Route 186 on the northwestern side of Gouldsboro Peninsula. It is on the Schoodic Scenic Byway at the point where you turn south toward Winter Harbor and Acadia National Park on the Schoodic Peninsula. It has water on both the western and eastern sides with Jones Cove to the west and Jones Pond to the east.
West Gouldsboro, along with the villages of Birch Harbor, Corea, South Gouldsboro, and Prospect Harbor, are all part of the municipality of Gouldsboro. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town covers a total area (land and water) of 100.8 sq. miles (261 sq. km) with 45.7% or 46.1 sq. miles (119.4 sq. km) of this being land.
Fire Department (Volunteer):
Municipal Business: (207) 963-5589
© 2001 - 2014 Greg A. Hartford, AcadiaMagic.com
All Rights Are Retained by the Copyright and Trademark Owner
All other copyrights and trademarks are reserved by their respective holders.